WILDCATS. GETCHA HEAD IN THE GAME.
I get to be a wildcat for the second time in my life! As Troy Bolton would say…
I am so excited to say that I’m heading to Wayne State College in Wayne, Nebraska to serve the students as a FOCUS missionary for this upcoming school year!
Now, while I’m very excited to be serving the students there, I was definitely a little surprised to be staying in the state that I’ve lived in my entire life. And, if I were to be honest with myself and you all, I was definitely
a little upset at first. However, GOD IS INCREDIBLY GOOD AND IS GREATLY TO BE PRAISED.
While I work through all of these emotions and fears and questions, He has been consoling me in the most incredible ways. The ones listed are just a few of the many.
1. I have already received THIRTEEN friend requests on facebook from students I’ll be meeting and working with next year. Thirteen! Talk about a warm welcome!
2. My friends here in Florida have been so loving and supportive, offering me hugs and shoulders to cry on* and listening ears.
3. My beautiful friend Evie sent me a text today that simply said “Sirach 2” so I pulled out my Bible and checked out what it had to say. Here’s verse 10:
…Has anyone hoped in the Lord and been disappointed? Has anyone persevered in His fear and been forsaken? Has anyone called upon Him and been rebuffed?
This is going to be a great adventure. I was expecting God to ask me to grow in some crazy way, but I can already very clearly see some of the ways He will be stretching me and teaching me how to love through this placement.
4. My team is WONDERFUL. We had a lovely dinner together last night and then went and got ice cream. There was a lot of laughter and joy and mutual interests discovered. It’s going to be so much fun to work with each one of them.
5. Today, we went to the beach. I love large bodies of water. It’s so nice to remember how small I am, but yet how deeply and personally God loves me. Today, I was standing by myself just jumping with the waves that were rolling in. At one point, there was a bit of a lull in the waves where I was standing. I looked over about 10 feet to my right and the waves were large and looked perfect for jumping into. Sad about the lack of waves where I was, I contemplated moving over to these waves. However, right then, 5 or 6 PERFECT waves came right where I was standing.
This is my experience. I can look right and left at what God is doing in the lives of those around me, feeling sad and jealous, OR I can stand still, be patient, and wait to see the crazy awesome things He has in store for me in Wayne. Just because the initial wave feels small compared to those around me, the next waves are going to be crazy beautiful and perfect for diving into. I can’t wait to dive into this adventure in Wayne, America :)
6. I get to make as many High School Musical references as I want.
In light of that…
- We’re all in this together. No single part of the mission of FOCUS is any more or less important that another. God thinks that I am going to be able to reach the students in Wayne in a way that no one else could. WHAT?
- Stick to the stuff you know. I get to stay in The Good Life! No need to worry about trying to fit in somewhere I don’t know anyone or know the culture.
- It’s the start of something new. Even if I feel like I already know at least a little bit about Wayne, there will be so many people to meet and so much to learn. I can’t wait!
- All I want to do is be with you. I am suuuuuper excited to get to campus and meet all of these incredible people!
*To any of my future Wayne State friends, you will soon learn that I cry at everything. Literally everything. Please do not be alarmed at this statement :)